Monday 22 September 2008

Take what you're given




For some reason, in my university days I rarely used coupons and I can put this down to a mix of the stigma associated with using them (Open All Hours anyone?) and the fact I never used to carry a wallet.

On top of this, I never once used a storecard.

Looking back, I must have wasted £1000's in discounts, given I would shop every single day at the local Sainsbury's as well as stopping into CostCutter on campus between lectures. Please don't assume I eat all the pies - I simply have a total inability to plan ahead when culinary skills are involved. Therefore, I would shop daily for fresh meat, pre-bagged salad leaves, innocent juice and some kind of after dinner munch. My shopping trips were planned, only on a much smaller scale than for most people.

Now, I regularly use Tesco (I still prefer Sainsburys, but Tesco is closer to where I live now) and have signed up to a store card. Despite having three online accounts, none of which tie into the card number of my Tesco Clubcard, I do seem to get regular postal offers. For the third month in a row I have three separate £5 off vouchers for £50+ shops and a £10 voucher to use against any single purchase.

My wife takes care of the shopping list and eventual cooking, so thankfully I am able to negotiate the minefield of large shopping trips and take advantage of these discounts. Not doing so would simply be throwing money away.

No comments: